Enjoying The Curly Whirly

We left our pretty moorings rather later than we planned due to the wet weather.

We’d planned to continue our journey on Sunday, but Sunday’s weather was grey and wet. We eventually untied from our mooring after lunch on Monday. John made good use of Monday morning before we left to dismantle the plumbing in the bathroom. We knew there was a slight leak, which had been bugging John for weeks, if not months. After mopping up water under the bathroom floor, John eventually discovered a joint from the shower drain was the culprit. So despite the horrible weather, Monday morning was a success.

We pootled round the ‘Curly Whirly’ of the Leeds to Liverpool Canal, and stopped to take on water for half an hour, continuing on until we moored at the bottom of the Greenberfield flight of three locks. We’d intended to climb the locks Tuesday morning. But what a day Tuesday was! It was wet and cold, and raining quite heavy at times, for over 24 hours. There was nothing else for it but to light the fire, bake a batch of scones, and cuddle up to the TV to watch Wimbledon.

Despite the weather, there were some hardy boaters climbing up and down the locks. John shouted to one crew that he could tell ‘proper’ boaters on wet weather like this. The crew preened themselves on their sacrifice, that was until John added that proper boaters are holed inside their boats supping tea in this wet weather. Luckily by their laughter, they understood the joke.

From before 5 a.m. the sun has been gloriously shining this morning. While John was tucked up in bed (he’d had a upset tum in the night), Rusty and I had a lovely early morning walk under bright blue skies, and warm sunshine. When we returned John was dressed, and had washed up. He was looking and feeling a lot better. We decided to make our start to the day.

Cyan was soon prepared for our journey, and her ropes untied, while I set the first lock. As if on que, just as I opened the gates for Cyan, another boat joined us. It’s always good to share lock work. On the way to the next lock a lockie cycled down the towpath, he stopped to add Cyan’s C&RT number to his iPad. We’ve been ‘logged’ several times over the past several months. Obviously we’re being tracked.

At the top of the locks we stopped to use the services, empty the rubbish (which was collected in a very obscure place), and to enjoy a magnum ice-cream each, bought from the coffee shop.

We are now at the summit of the Pennines, the highest part of the whole canal system.

Passing another bit of Canal history, this wooden roller was used to help handle horse towing ropes.

We stopped again at Coates Bridge (#154A) for an hour or so while John visited a petrol garage with a Spar shop attached for bread, milk, eggs, and one or two other things. He noted that on the other side of the road from the garage, there was a building site, with a huge sign saying a new Lidl was soon to be built there. I’m making a note just in case we return to the area one day.

We’re now moored for the evening outside the Anchor Inn (just after Salterforth Bridge #151), on a ‘2 day’s visitors mooring’. As we’re really low on supplies, I thought this is a good spot for a Tesco delivery. So I’ve been busy on-line shopping, and Tesco delivers tomorrow.

We’ve promised ourselves lunch at the Anchor Inn, they have an all day ‘special’ on Thursdays, it’s a steak dinner for two, including wine for £25.

There are notices along the canal, not from C&RT, but from ‘Public Health Information’ warning of ‘blue-green algae‘. The notice is warning people not to go swimming in the canal, and to keep dogs away from the water. Within 15 minutes of a dog ingesting the toxin, of which there’s no antidote, the dog’s liver could be destroyed, obviously killing it. It’s serious stuff.

On Monday we travelled 2.5 miles, with no locks. WiFi 50+meg!

Today we’ve travelled 3 miles, and 3 locks. WiFi 30 meg

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *