Pirates Onboard

Yesterday we visited Abingdon, it’s a beautiful and historical market town. We’d planned to pick up some fresh fruit and veg, and John wanted to find some stainless steel screws, but after a short time, John’s foot started to hurt, so we returned back to Cyan, but not before I bought some plasticised cotton material to make seat covers for the cratch.

This morning we were rudely woken at 4:30 a.m, by about 50 excited geese who were on the grass by our boat. Not sure what the fuss was about; had one of the young goslings been attacked?

While we were moored in Abingdon, we got familiar with the local goose population, especially one family group of three adults and 5 goslings. We watched anxiously  as adult geese fought off vicious swans, playful dogs, and dive-bombing black headed gulls in their quest to protect the youngsters. When John returned from taking Rusty for a walk, he was confronted by a Swedish family on holiday on a ‘Le Boat’, who had moored in front of us. The mother wanted advice on what should be done about a dying duckling. Her little girl in particular was distressed as the duckling was dying near our boats. The other adult ducks had abandoned it, such as it is in nature when faced with imminent death. The little girl had made the dying duckling a pillow out of a tissue, and she was terribly upset. I don’t think John helped the situation at all when he said the gulls will come and carry it off, and that will be the kindest thing.  Whoops John…. that was just a bit too ‘brutal’!

We left our mooring at about 11 a.m. on a bright breezy day.

We had a fabulous view of ‘old’ Abingdon

Venturing under Abingdon Bridge

Our first lock was Abingdon Lock, where I was asked by a little girl if I was a pirate! “Yes of course I am, but I’m a very kind pirate”!

After the lock we topped up our water tank, dumped our rubbish, and used the Elsan service. It’s always a nice feeling when all three chores are taken care of.

A Thames Galleon!

Wisteria adorned some gorgeous properties

We’re now moored just after Iffley Lock, practically just outside ‘The Isis Farmhouse’. (Sad the name ‘Isis’ has now been so maligned!)

‘The Isis Farmhouse’, used to be called Isis Tavern. Strangely enough it doesn’t have direct road access. The beer used to be delivered from the river. I was fascinated to read that during the 1800’s the Landlord would receive 5 shillings, or 7 shillings for each corpse removed from the river, depending which side of the river the corpse was retrieved from.

Though a gammon joint had been slowly cooking this afternoon in Cyan’s oven; we thought we’d visit ‘The Isis Farmhouse’ for a drink, and if the menu looked appetising, we could have dinner there. But what a mucky dive it turned out to be. I sat in the huge garden with Rusty while John bought us both a drink. He returned with a pint of beer for him, and a half for me, the beer was cloudy and it fizzed! John took it back, his was swapped with a relatively decent pint, I declined. We returned to Cyan, and  had a very tasty gammon dinner.

It’s busy where we’re moored with rowers. Now we’ve decided to travel to Cambridge, we’ll be meeting their opposition.

Today we’ve travelled over 7 miles, and through 3 locks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *