Yesterday we left our mooring outside of Great Haywood Marina. We only travelled the minuscule trip into the Marina for Sani
The diesel tank was brimmed with just 50 litres of diesel. While we were there we made a reservation to stay in the marina for a week at the end of January. John also had a chat in the boatyard regarding having Cyan’s bottom blacked. Blacking was only done around September 2017, but it looks like it needs doing again urgently.
We returned to where we were moored, only this time Cyan facing the ‘other way’ round, with easy access to the chimney. We’d planned to give our chimney an urgent brushing as we had an issue a couple of nights ago where we were woken by the CO alarm, it was showing we had Carbon Monoxide in the boat. A pretty dangerous situation!
It was rather shocking to see how much the chimney had been blocked.
John gave the chimney a good brush with the huge bottle brush, he rattled a chain down the chimney, and he clawed at the clinker with a metal hook.
It was a good job well done! We made a promise to give the chimney another sweep in a couple of weeks, and not to leave it too long next time.
This morning we left our mooring, stopping a short time at the Junction where the Staffordshire and Worcester canal branches off. After filling the water tank, and disposing of rubbish, we set off, turning right onto the Staffordshire and Worcester canal.
Anglo Welsh hire boats look to be waiting for their first crews of the year.
We stopped just after the widest part of ‘Tixall Wide
The Gatehouse was also a place where the assasination of Charles II was plotted.
Built in 1555 by Sir Edward Aston, this gatehouse was once the grand entrance to an even grander house.
The main house was rebuilt, demolished and rebuilt again over the next 3 centuries, until in 1928 when the house was demolished, with the material re-used to build the Saint John’s Church Chancel at Littleworth.
Near to where we are moored, there’s a memorial patch in memory of Beau the Bassett Boater, a